WORKSHEET FOR REPHRASING
Rephrase the following sentences using the ‘Starters’ given within brackets so that they express the same as the original sentences.
- He had just finished eating his breakfast and then he fell down. (Hardly)
Ans: Hardly had he finished eating his breakfast when he fell down.
- They asked for wage increase and they demanded bonus. (Not only)
Ans: Not only did they ask for wage increase but also they demanded bonus.
- He put down the receiver and at once the telephone rang. (No sooner)
Ans: No sooner had he put down the receiver than the telephone rang.
- The thieves did not realize that the police were after them. (Little)
Ans: Little did the thieves realize that the police were after them.
- I would not doubt his integrity for one moment. (Not for)
Ans: Not for a moment would I doubt his inntegrity.
- The truth did not become known until many years later. (Not until)
Ans: Not until many years later did the truth become known.
- He was so angry that no one dared to talk to him. (So angry)
Ans: So angry was he that no one dared to talk to him.
- We have not seen such people of exemplary courage. (Rarely)
Ans: Rarely have we seen such people of exemplary courage.
- I would not allow such a thing. (Never)
Ans: Never would I allow such a thing.
- I did not realise his difficulty until I visited him. (Not until)
Ans: Not until I visited him did I realise his difficulty.
- The back of this radio should not be removed. (Under no circumstances)
Ans: Under no circumstances should the back of the radio be removed.
- Such an operation has been proved successful in very few cases. (In very few cases)
Ans: In very few cases has such an operation been proved successful.
- He mentioned it to me only yesterday. (It was)
Ans: It was only yesterday did he mention it to me.
- He would not answer the questions and he wouldn’t pose for photographs. (Neither)
Ans: Neither would he answer the questions not would he pose for photographs.
- The rowdy had rarely been arrested. (Seldom)
Ans: Seldom had the rowdy been arrested.
- One in a million does not succeed in practising it. (Not one)
Ans: Not one in a million succeeds in practising it.
- Can anyone bear such insult?. (No one)
Ans: No one can bear such insult.
- Who does not like to be rich. (Everybody)
Ans: Everybody likes to be rich.
- When can their glory fade?. (Their)
Ans: Their glory can never fade.
- Who likes to be poor?. (No one)
Ans: No one likes to be poor.
- What is the harm if you go there?. (There)
Ans: There is no harm if you go there.
- As soon as he reached the school, it began to rain.. (No sooner)
Ans: No sooner did he reacch the school, than it began to rain.
- He is sorter that I. (I)
Ans: I am not so short as he.
- David alone can do it. (None)
Ans: None but David can do it.
- The Taj is very beautiful. (How)
Ans: How beautiful the Taj is!.
- Alas! She lost all her jewels. (It is)
Ans: It is sad that she lost all her jewels.
- O! that I were a bird. (I wish)
Ans: I wish I were a bird.
- Bring a glass of hot water. (Let)
Ans: Let a glass of hot water be brought.
- He made a promise and he kept it. (Besides)
Ans: Besides making a promise he kept it.
- He worked hard, but he ould not succeed. (Not withstanding)
Ans: Not withstanding his hard work he could not succeed.
- As he was ill he couldn’t come to the function. (Owing)
Ans: Owing to ill health he couldn’t come to the function.
- Speak the truth, and you need have no fear. (If)
Ans: If you speak the truth you need have no fear.
- Leave the room at once or I’ll punish you. (Unless)
Ans: Unless you leave the room at once I’ll punish you.
- He go a telegram and Immediately he left in a car. (As soon as)
Ans: As soon as he got a telegram he left in a car.
- If you do not help me I will e in trouble. (Unless)
Ans: Unless you help me I will be in trouble.
- Come to my house and I shall give you my camera. (If)
Ans: If you come to my house I will give you my camera.
- Come to my house and I will show you my album. (Should)
Ans: Should you come to my house I will show you my album.
- I warned him several times but he did the foolish thing. (In spite of)
Ans: In spite of my (repeated) warnings he did the foolish thing.
- What a tragic sight!. (It)
Ans: It is a tragic sight.
- Please lend me your English book. (Could)
Ans: Could you lend me your English book?.
- Without your help, I’d never have done that. (If it)
Ans: If it weren’t for your help I»d never have done that.
comments powered by